Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Time Heals Everything



It's been a while since my last post, but I've been busy using BOTH of my legs!

I'm back to working out 5 days a week now and I've had people tell me they would have never known I had a broken leg. It's a good feeling to know how far I've come in the past few months.
I've gone from walking to not walking, to sort of walking to finally walking with two shoes. Today, I met a girl who also had a knee scooter just like me. I asked her what had happened, and she slipped on some ice. She had it easy though, she doesn't have to use the scooter in the winter with the snow. But I still felt her pain, and promised her it does get better. I'm proof.

The irony of my accident is also the fact that it has inspired my art now. In my design class, we got an assignment, pick a body part, and obviously I picked a leg, and had to carve it out of wood. Now being inspired by my accident, I decided to do the stages of my leg. The ideas were, a skeleton leg, the broken skeleton (after the accident), the newly robot leg, a healed up with scars one, and a normal leg. I decided to pick the robot leg because for about a month after my cast came off, my leg felt foreign, it did not feel like my leg. The idea of artificial is what I wanted to portray in this piece and that's what I think I got. The model of the wooden leg is how I felt for while and reflected that feeling.



The Finished Product

I'm walking almost back to normal now. I'm still not running, but I am swimming once a week. I never thought I would recover so quickly and be able to get back in my workout routine but I managed to make great progress in a short amount of time. I never thought I would be where I am today, but for all of you who are out there reading this, and are broken, I promise it does get better

No comments:

Post a Comment