Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Monica Takes a Nasty Spill


So, the inspiration for this blog came around about two weeks ago. I was going to class on my Razor scooter, and then within seconds was in pain writhing in pain. I heard that crunching that just about anyone who has broken a bone knows. It doesn't sound pretty. Thus, as I was on the floor attempting to get up, immediately fell over. My leg did one thing and my ankle did another. That's never good. You would think that in a heavily traveled area someone is bound to stop and help a crying girl on the side walk, this is not the case on the streets of Champaign. It wasn't until the call to my boyfriend had been made that someone came to help. Thanks to all the kids coming out of Illini Towers that didn't stop to help. As I made my way to the Champaign hospital and 2 mg of Morphine later, things started moving pretty quickly.

X- Ray time and the results are: A broken fibula and broken ankle in two places. Good question, how does one go about fixing this? One word. Surgery. The heart rate went up on that one. After a 15 lb plaster splint, and now 10 mg of Morphine later, it's time to go home.

Upon returning, I realized, how would I get my new jeans off over this cast? The answer: Have your roomie cut them off into shorts. Bye bye new jeans.

Monday Nov. 8.

Surgery time! After an an hour and a half of prep time and a sexy hospital gown, it's time to go under. About an hour and forty five later, I awake from surgery. Unable to feel my leg due to a nerve blocker, I make my way back to consciousness and am greeting with an apple juice box and graham crackers. Yummy.

Tuesday Nov. 9.

Wakey- wakey leg! It's time to feel the pain! But flowers from some people help throughout the day and make things better.

Wednesday Nov. 10.

Monica learns the importance of Vicodin and how to use it wisely. It does marvelous things.

Friday Nov. 12.

I make the adventure outside my house. To eat mexican food I go!

Monday Nov. 15.

One week after surgery. The plaster comes of and survey says: 30 staples in my leg!

Got a lovely purple cast to match the bruising on my foot. It looks delicious. It's time to go back to school, things are going to get interesting.

Tuesday Nov. 16.

You would think that if you saw a person in a wheel chair crossing the street, you would stop and let them cross, right? Apparently not the situation in Champaign. Almost got hit by 2 cars. It's just like every other day.

Wednesday Nov. 17.

Note to self: Saw dust on floor of art room= no no for crutches + a nasty spill.


This blog is dedicated to the daily struggles, mountains I must climb and stories I have to tell.

Airport security: Beware. I have a lot of hardware now. I'm not afraid to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment