Thursday, November 25, 2010

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

Hope everyone had a good turkey day. I'll get to my day in a little. But first off, let's talk about yesterday for me. So, earlier I had made a foam gingerbread house. Then yesterday, I was invited by my friend Liz to make a real one.  Although it came out of a box, it was still fun to make. It came with an assortment of candies and frosting. Getting those walls to stay up was the hardest part. Nothing says like her being the daughter of an architect like using a stapler, 4 cans of bumble bee tuna and a bottle of vitamin water to hold up the roof and walls. After they held up, it was decorating time. We each made a roof side. Liz patterned hers with M &Ms and me, the art major, just squiggled frosting around and put these fruity candies all over the place. As you can see, learning a lot at school.  Here is the final product:


So after we were finished decorating, little did we realize it was raining outside. If you've ever had a cast, you would know that casts and water don'r really make good friends. Liz and her sister found a series of bags, one of which was a sandwich bread bag. Hey, if I'm going out it the rain, might as well go out in style. The bag indeed kept the water out, the cast was dry when I got home. Good problem solving guys :)

Today was Thanksgiving. When you think of Thanksgiving, what do you think of? Family coming over, that smell of turkey and pie lingering throughout the house, and a bitter fall day? That's usually what I think of. However, that really didn't describe the day. Up until about 3:30 or so it was pretty much an average day, minus getting dressed up. Side note- finding  an outfit to match a cast wasn't very easy. Hence, I decided not to match. But it was funny, both my mom and sisters matched my cast. This year instead of getting the house all decorated and making food, we ventured to a country club. I wasn't too keen on the idea from the get go. I mean I just wasn't a fan of the idea of 'hey let's pay someone to make our food so we don't have to cook and take them away from their families on Thanksgiving'. But it wasn't my choice so I went along with it. The food was alright, nothing that really wowed me, especially since I got to see it a second time as I came home. That was special. 
As Dorothy once said, "There's No Place Like Home." I'll have to agree with her on this one. Sharing my Thanksgiving meal with about 20 other tables of people I don't know doesn't really suite my fancy. 

Tomorrow is a second appointment with the doctor. I get the 30 staples out and a new cast, bye bye purple cast. There will be pictures to come. 

Hope you all have a better rest of the evening than I did. Happy Thanksgiving for the next 3 hours and hope you don't have to see  your meal again like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment