Thursday, December 30, 2010

Malls- I've Never Been So Scared Shopping

First of all, hope everyone had good holidays and is excited for the new year! I know I am, because come the new year, I shall be walking again! About time... Another 2 weeks to go! So as the Christmas season comes to a close, the stores are having major sales. Just the other day, I went into Hollister. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a tank top and these items were already in the sale area, plus everything in the store was 40% off, total cost of jeans and tank top: 11.43$. Did I really just get 50$ jeans for 5$, indeed. That just goes to show how overpriced things can be. Now you must be asking, "how does this relate to her and her broken leg?" Well, I will tell you.

Going to the mall normally ( with both functioning legs) is never very scary unless it is very crowded. Going to the mall, with a broken leg, on a scooter, with kids, strollers, ramps and too many people= very scary. I attempted to include a video of this madness, but for some reason could to get it from the phone to my computer with it working. Basically, it showed clusters of people, stopping in front of me as I scoot along, people stepping back into me, and a crowded mall. What part of this sounds fun again?

Here are just some of the stats from the day:
$ spent: 15
strollers that almost hit me: 7 ( and not the single ones, most of them doubles)
# of odd looks: too many
# of children I almost hit: 4

Also, some odd comments I overheard throughout the day:
"I've never seen that before!!" (5 year old)
"I wonder if she has one leg? Where did the other one go?"- ( 8 year old)
"Well, I wish I had one of those, do you have to be broken to get one?" (40 year old mother)

I've never been so scared shopping in my life, it felt like a dangerous sport, making my way through people, that awkward situation when you are walking towards someone and the game of "who moves to avoid getting hit", clearly it's not going to be me. It takes me longer to move than you, so how about you move since you have two functioning legs? There was also the situation of me coming down a ramp, and a mother was letting her child run along, no supervision, and they ran out in front of me. I try stopping and come within inches of this child, and the mom throws up her arms and give me a look like "WTF? How did you almost just hit my child??" Maybe you should have been controlling your child, instead of letting them run-a-muck.

Being 7 weeks into not walking, I've discovered that many places are not handicap accessible. This is not ok. There are sometimes I go into bathrooms and the so called "larger stall" can barely fit my knee scooter let alone and wheel chair. I was in a store, and they had 3 floors, but I had to find someone to unlock the elevator, now I'm thinking, what if no one can unlock this for me? I guess if they won't allow me into their lower level, they do not deserve my money.

On a last note, although I may have missed a week and a half of school, I got all A's for the semester. Good for me :)

Side note: The scooter makes a great bag carrier!



No comments:

Post a Comment